fabiosun

• Supervisor

sleep and gigabyte could be a pain..

but I think it is not a problem related to those quirks

I my case sleep is working well also with "new" gpu, but my MSI is more simple to configure because it has less stuff than gigabyte (No BT, No WIFI)

@fabiosun, I've just remembered, I used to have those quirks disabled but enabled them on 24th October after a post by @jncasey, he had to enable them to be able to boot Linux from the OC picker. I tried it and it didn't affect anything on my system so I left them enabled just in case I load Mint, my preferred Linux distro, onto the TRX (I have it dual booting on a MS Surface Pro 4 atm).

Edited by Ploddles

16 hours ago, meina222 said:

Forgot to mention - I am not aware of anyone having above 4G enabled and having success with the Gigabyte TRX40 boards on this forum. Not sure about other brands. Could be wrong, but I have it off.

@meina222 I also have Above 4G enabled in bios – without it I was having problems with Windows/Ubuntu using my second (NVIDIA) gpu.

1 hour ago, Ploddles said:

The following link is to my working OC 0.6.3 EFI

Thanks @Ploddles. I'll check out your 0.6.3 config in a little bit. From what I've read, nothing major has been changed this time around, right? I've customized my EFI enough for my particular hardware setup that I'm going to be better off updating myself than copying from you again, I think.

56 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Could you try and see if your system starts well also without RebuildMemoryMap?

It should start also without others two quirks but I am curious about RebuildAppleMemoryMap because I see it on many trx40 config..but it is not mandatory..I think :9

Thank you

@fabiosun, my machine will boot macOS with RebuildAppleMemoryMap and SyncRuntimePermissions set to either true or false. But I need to set them both to true if I want to be able to boot Ubuntu through OpenCore. If I don't, grub hangs on "Loading initial ramdisk"

• +1 2

@jncasey, we must have been typing about the Linux bits at the same time. 🙂

Adding the new 0.6.3 kernel entry (EnableBTFeatureFlags --> True) to my config has fixed Handoff and unlocking from my Apple Watch (using Intel Bluetooth and AX200), so you may want to add and set that if you have an iPhone or Apple Watch and it isn't handing off or unlocking.

• +1 2

• Supervisor
9 minutes ago, jncasey said:

@fabiosun, my machine will boot macOS with RebuildAppleMemoryMap and SyncRuntimePermissions set to either true or false. But I need to set them both to true if I want to be able to boot Ubuntu through OpenCore. If I don't, grub hangs on "Loading initial ramdisk"

have you tested with only this?

SyncRuntimePermissions on

?

• Supervisor

however if you see video post above, with Clover I can boot Proxmox, Windows and bare Metal with a single EFI

so if user is able to win initial and  natural diffidence having with Clover.. 🙂 it could be an option

1 minute ago, fabiosun said:

have you tested with only this?

SyncRuntimePermissions on

?

I believe I tested all the combinations of the two properties, and needed both to be on in order to boot both macOS and Linux. But I'm not 100% sure – I was so happy to have Linux boot working through OpenCore I may have skipped that particular combination. I'll double-check as soon as I have a moment with the machine. 

• Supervisor

I have some time these days and I spent it with clover to understand better many combinations of our trx40 MMIO toghetr all patches we have to use (Kernel Patches)

but it is very interesting to see sometimes many stuff it is not "useful" or useful only in some conditions.

With Clover I do not need any SSDT or quirk to have Nvram working well...I am investigating in this part..becauuse it is very curious...

@fabiosun in the spirit of communal scientific discovery, I'd be happy to test that particular quirk configuration so we all know. It won't be hard to switch it back if things don't work.

I just have to wait for the machine's current task to finish. It's in the middle of a massive machine learning training session, which it's estimated to take anywhere from hours to months(!). The current estimate is measured in days, so I hope that holds and I can get back to messing with its hackintosh alterego in its spare time.

• Supervisor

ok tested Ubuntu 19.04

It boots fine starting with Clover Bootloader

so

Proxmox ok

Ubuntu 19.04 ok

Catalina 10.15.7 ok

Big Sur 11.01 ok

Windows 10 64bit ok * digital license stay activated here..

No bad

I am using same set of MMIO i am using in opencore bootloader, and same Kernel Patches rewritten using Clover Terminology

2022524803_ScreenShot2020-11-04at4_46_25PM.png.c8bda4135f5bc5ab6ec4f8c5e28156ba.png

• +1 2

23 minutes ago, Jaidy said:

@Ploddles @meina222 this is the message it gives at boot. It was giving this message when I did exactly what @meina222 said about the upgrading procedure - simply updating the files from the OC 0.6.3. @Ploddles this error still comes up after replacing my EFI with yours..

IMG_3531.jpg

config.plist.zip 6 kB · 0 downloads

Not getting this, but looking at the diff, here's a small difference - the highlighted key is new in OC 0.6.3 and did not exist in 0.6.2

<key>PlatformInfo</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Automatic</key>
        <true/>
        <key>CustomMemory</key>
        <false/>

<key>Generic</key>
        <dict>

Can you try with that?

For the sake of completeness another new key is:

<key>Output</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ClearScreenOnModeSwitch</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ConsoleMode</key>
            <string></string>
            <key>DirectGopRendering</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ForceResolution</key>
            <false/>

<key>IgnoreTextInGraphics</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ProvideConsoleGop</key>
            <true/>
            <key>ReconnectOnResChange</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ReplaceTabWithSpace</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Resolution</key>
            <string>Max</string>
            <key>SanitiseClearScreen</key>
            <false/>
            <key>TextRenderer</key>
            <string>BuiltinGraphics</string>
            <key>UgaPassThrough</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>

Edited by meina222

• Supervisor

also check this:

981269444_ScreenShot2020-11-04at7_45_55PM.thumb.png.225e1ccfc50528cdb2a4bf6cf11ee9a4.png

it is open core differences.pdf from previous version

but if you use Automatic on Yes you can skip and delete tab I have said above

Please make a config backup before! 🙂

if automatic is on yes or True as I see in @meina222post you can have only this:

97593378_ScreenShot2020-11-04at7_48_36PM.png.62dd2ffa9f5432fb7b8fa779d5d680d6.png

DataHub and SMbios are useful if automatic is set to NO

and this from initial Opencore Release.

• +1 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jaidy said:

@Ploddles @meina222 this is the message it gives at boot. It was giving this message when I did exactly what @meina222 said about the upgrading procedure - simply updating the files from the OC 0.6.3. @Ploddles this error still comes up after replacing my EFI with yours..

IMG_3531.jpg

Delete the red square entry and your  error pos 17 msg  will be gone. No longer needed after v062.

MemoryFormFactor.thumb.jpg.ccc7db8a659309386800d80af2b3d3ad.jpg

• +1 1

@iGPU, where are you seeing those settings? I don't have any of it in my config.

EDIT:

Just looked at @Jaidyconfig, and see it in there. His config looks like an amalgamation of mine and his previous one, no idea where that section originated from.

@Jaidy, have you tried with just my config as is, not adding those extra bits?

Edited by Ploddles
  • +1 1

49 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

@iGPU, where are you seeing those settings? I don't have any of it in my config.

EDIT:

Just looked at @Jaidyconfig, and see it in there. His config looks like an amalgamation of mine and his previous one, no idea where that section originated from.

@Jaidy, have you tried with just my config as is, not adding those extra bits?

Yeah I just used your EFI and the error vanished! Thanks 

• +1 2

21 hours ago, meina222 said:

Forgot to mention - I am not aware of anyone having above 4G enabled and having success with the Gigabyte TRX40 boards on this forum. Not sure about other brands. Could be wrong, but I have it off.

I also have above 4G enabled on my ASRock TRX40 Creator. Works fine.

• +1 1

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches