backinblackx86

6 hours ago, backinblackx86 said:

Will it work as a scratch disk or is it best to avoid all MacOS use and only use it for Windows/Linux? I may install an WD 850X (Sandisk)

The strange thing is if it is being formatted as some other file system and I try formatting it to APFS, the system will hang and then reboot. If I boot from USB and try formatting it from the recovery / install macOS, the same thing happens. 

so I boot into Linux, format it to something like exFAT or EXT4, and then format it to APFS from macOS. After all this exercise, while it is in APFS, and I can write data to it and read from it, I’m very hesitant to do anything with it in macOS, so I haven’t really tried working with it. 

I have a Z540 which while has its own small issues like restarting immediately after a reboot to desktop, but once I get to desktop, it is solid. I have it as my OS drive, so it seems there’s some firmware issue with the T700..

6 hours ago, backinblackx86 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U14S-TR5-SP6-Premium-Threadripper/dp/B0CHRS9RXB

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr5-sp6

this is the unit I am using, but I believe the air flow is limited in my case as well.

If money isn’t a problem, then stick to the one you got for now. Enermax is coming out with its water cooler in Q2 of this year, so a few months from now, the XTR, and it seems quite capable to handle the TRs. 

Edited by Jaidy

Okay break time is over, the women of the house wanted to understand what it is I have been doing at all these odd hours. They understand and are happy for the successfulness. 

seems like while I was away, something crashed…perhaps because I inly have the single ssdt S3 enabled….standby

• Support Team
9 minuti fa, backinblackx86 ha scritto:

Okay break time is over, the women of the house wanted to understand what it is I have been doing at all these odd hours. They understand and are happy for the successfulness. 

seems like while I was away, something crashed…perhaps because I inly have the single ssdt S3 enabled….standby

if your system becomes unstable, disable ssdt s3 and ssdt slpb, I prefer fewer fixes but a system as stable as possible.

@backinblackx86 @fabiosun @Lorys89 

Congratulations on your achievements, I have been following the post since last night without intervening. Too little knowledge in the field of hackintosch. You are truly professionals in less than 24 hours you have made a new generation of motherboard compatible.

“Hats off” as they say in French.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

6 minutes ago, Arrakis said:

@backinblackx86 @fabiosun @Lorys89 

Congratulations on your achievements, I have been following the post since last night without intervening. Too little knowledge in the field of hackintosch. You are truly professionals in less than 24 hours you have made a new generation of motherboard compatible.

“Hats off” as they say in French.

my thoughts exactly! 

18 hours ago, fabiosun said:

If you are able to use davinci resolve there are another test you can try

but then @Arrakiswill not be happy if it went as I think🥹🥹🥹

@fabiosun 🤣On the contrary, I'm looking forward to the Resolve test to make the final decision whether it's the Mac Studio Ultra M3 or M4.🤪

• whahahah 1

Fabioson really kicked things off with getting the installer to boot. My thread at AMD-OSX was not getting much traction, and I had come across this webpage while searching for TRx40 builds. Granted my thread at AMD-OSX laid dormant for a month since the hardware was built. I had to refresh myself on the Open Core setup and started with my Intel 2600k LGA1155 and 5900x AM4. As we are on the day of the 40th anniversary of MacOS, yes, this is a great thing. When I picked these parts out back in December, it was my instinct that it would be possible…I traded an entire 14900k build in at my local store just for the CPU!

I have had Cinebench running the stability test…the display did go to sleep in the middle of it but the keyboard woke it back up. Uptime of 18 minutes so far.

Also, not sure if I reported this but a single press of the case power button still NOT does activate the power/reboot/sleep menu. Going to try apple menu>sleep now

Edited by backinblackx86
  • Like 1

Yes, I will setup Davinci next. I never really used it but will do so.

OKAY, the system “went to sleep” (the cpu fans spun down) but immediately back woke up….and the display will NOT wake….0d is displayed in the motherboard LED, which I believe is D0…”cpu initialization error.”

Going to disable those sleep SSDT’s for now…

Well it wasn’t the TB4 ssdt that caused any issues but sleep! Lol, who needs sleep? Actually, I do like sleep….had to reset the BIOS by the button on the motherboard…just like last time in Linux…odd.

Edited by backinblackx86
  • Thanks 1

I haven't used this software much before, however I followed along and set the software preferences to either rendering mode and the project settings 500 fps limit, 1080p, using original footage.

6 TRN nodes:

Metal, 42

OpenCL, 10

66 TRN Nodes:

Metal, 30

OpenCL, 15

Edited by backinblackx86
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

Okay, I am signing off for a bit...going to leave the system running with Cinebench in stability mode and might start prime 95. Hope to resolve the sleep function and pickup a compatible wifi card plus clone to an NVME. May or may not use this system with iServices, I tend to like my workstations to be OFFLINE or LAN only, also need to give Sonoma a try. Revisiting some of my old multi-cam FCP projects may be fun...in the day, I burned out a MacBook Pro 17 inch while on the road, although the 3770k desktop was powerful for it's time, this is a major upgrade for this VW!

One of my most viewed music videos that I used the Canon 5D Mkiii, edited on the MBP17 in FCPx: enjoy. Youtube compression sucks...

Edited by backinblackx86

6 minutes ago, Jaidy said:

Is the system running solid? Any kernel panics or any other hiccups? Sleep restart never works for me with TRX40, but it’s ok.

Keep in mind I am running on an 840 Samsung, prime95 and davinci are both running in the background. load averages: 5.44 5.96 9.43

• Support Team
2 ore fa, backinblackx86 ha scritto:

Fabioson really kicked things off with getting the installer to boot. My thread at AMD-OSX was not getting much traction, and I had come across this webpage while searching for TRx40 builds. Granted my thread at AMD-OSX laid dormant for a month since the hardware was built. I had to refresh myself on the Open Core setup and started with my Intel 2600k LGA1155 and 5900x AM4. As we are on the day of the 40th anniversary of MacOS, yes, this is a great thing. When I picked these parts out back in December, it was my instinct that it would be possible…I traded an entire 14900k build in at my local store just for the CPU!

I have had Cinebench running the stability test…the display did go to sleep in the middle of it but the keyboard woke it back up. Uptime of 18 minutes so far.

Also, not sure if I reported this but a single press of the case power button still does activate the power/reboot/sleep menu. Going to try apple menu>sleep now

So if a single press of the pwr button makes you appear sleep, reboot, shut down, then ssdt slpb works and you can leave it on. 

Ssdt s3 You can remove it, it didn't help. 

• Support Team
30 minuti fa, backinblackx86 ha scritto:

Lorys89, a single press of the power button does NOT make the menu for power, sleep, restart appear. 

Forgive me I had understood the opposite, remove ssdt slpb.