fabiosun

23 hours ago, iosengineer said:

If I'm willing to spend 4GB (or even more!) RAM to earn the capability to reconfigure my PCIe topology without boot failures, is there a way to configure the MMIO whitelist to instruct macOS to stay away from all memory addresses that are likely to be mapped as PCIe BARs?

No.

• Supervisor

thanks @tomnic to point me to this test :

Davinci resolve 17 beta3

fabio@fabios-iMac-Pro ~ % lipo -info /Applications/DaVinci\ Resolve/DaVinci\ Resolve.app/Contents/MacOS/Resolve

Architectures in the fat file: /Applications/DaVinci Resolve/DaVinci Resolve.app/Contents/MacOS/Resolve are: x86_64 arm64 <--------- 🙂

Photoshop 2021:

fabio@fabios-iMac-Pro ~ % lipo -info /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2021/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2021

Non-fat file: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Adobe Photoshop 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop 2021 is architecture: x86_64

Cinema 4d

fabio@fabios-iMac-Pro ~ % lipo -info /Applications/Maxon\ Cinema\ 4D\ R23/Cinema\ 4D.app/Contents/MacOS/Cinema\ 4D

Architectures in the fat file: /Applications/Maxon Cinema 4D R23/Cinema 4D.app/Contents/MacOS/Cinema 4D are: x86_64 arm64 <---------  🙂

Cinebench 23

fabio@fabios-iMac-Pro ~ % lipo -info /Applications/Cinebench.app/Contents/MacOS/Cinebench

Architectures in the fat file: /Applications/Cinebench.app/Contents/MacOS/Cinebench are: x86_64 arm64 arm64 <---------  🙂

Image Capture (apple app)

fabio@fabios-iMac-Pro ~ % lipo -info /System/Applications/Image\ Capture.app/Contents/MacOS/Image\ Capture        

Architectures in the fat file: /System/Applications/Image Capture.app/Contents/MacOS/Image Capture are: x86_64 arm64e <-------- 🙂

we have some hope 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, my Gigabyte Trx40 Designare MB died on me more than a week ago, and I still haven't heard back from Gigabyte.  Its support service is one of the worst if not the worse.  In the mean time, I had ordered an Asrock Trx40 Creator to get my hack back up (we have an Asrock Windows machine working very well in the office).  Do I need to modify my EFI (based on @Ploddles's shared EFI) much for the Asrock MB? Thanks!

• Sad 1

@shutterbug168 there are a few things you will need to do, mainly your MMIO Whitelist. The SSDTs referring to  the USB controllers will also need removing, as well as the kext re the builtin Intel Bluetooth and Wireless module (unless the Asrock has builtin Intel Bluetooth and WiFi). All the patches and quirks should be OK.

Once you have it booting you should then be able to tweak things as necessary.

Good luck.

• +1 1

Thanks, @Ploddles! I actually replaced the built-in Intel Wifi/BT card (after testing it with the new OC drivers on my Designare MB -- the wifi speed was running at only 20+mbps) with the Boardcom m.2 card for better performance (375Mbps) and compatibility.  I will replace the Asrock MB's the Intel m.2 card as well.  Regarding the USB controller, do I need to replace it with another one?  Thanks so much again!

@shutterbug168 - how do you know it's the motherboard that died?

The "USB controller" is built-in on the motherboard. You may need to disable a custom USB SSDT if you have one for the Designare. All in all, it should be easy to get up and running as there are several others with Asrock Creator here.

Be careful though. Gigabyte is indeed terrible with support, but it may be difficult to get a refund - they will insist on repairing/replacing the board if it proves to be the board at all, as this is what I believe is in the warranty terms. You may not easily send it back and tell them, I don't want it fixed, I want my money back instead. When I had troubles with them, I dealt directly with my credit card issuer. In the end they did fix the problem I had though, which was a well known BIOS issue that they officially choose not to address in public BIOS-es.

Also - most of their competitors have terrible customer service too. The pandemic and shortage of hardware hasn't helped it.

Edited by meina222
  • +1 2

Thanks, @meina222!  I know all the MB vendors are terrible when it comes to service!  I will likely keep the replacement as a spare... as I want to try out the Asrock MB and see if I can install a flashed Titan-Ridge TB3 card.  The board has no TB3 header, but I am optimistic that, if a flashed TR TB3 card works on my very old cMP5,1, it may just work on the Asrock MB...🤞

On 11/28/2020 at 7:38 PM, fabiosun said:

@Arrakis

try without rebuidmap quirk..

or if you want try to adapt to your system EFI I have posted in @cleverhome thread

with that you can install from scratch both Catalina and latest Big Sur

@fabiosunOn your advice, I started from scratch with the OpenCore 0.6.4 version.

For the configuration of the EFI, I relied on the EFI I had created for Catalina (OpenCore0.6.3)

I have partition in two my Nvme on which was already installed Catalina 10.15.7 (19:15).

I installed on the second BigSur partition (11.0.1). Installation like a letter in the mail the first time,

I expected one of the installation problems well nothing.😯😀

Course result, I can start on Catalina or Big Sur with the same and unique EFI without the modifier. (Just whether or not AirportItlwm.kext is activated depending on the system).

I am very happy, I did not expect this result.

What does not work to date:

AirDrop functional but no devices detected.

Wake up: a little better for the attempt compared to Catalina.

The system wakes up immediately. Extinction of screens. One click on the mouse or keyboard and it's off again.

Under  Catalina it was compulsory extinction because the system was no longer responding.

My EFI and debug file if you see anything to improve when you have the time.

EFI : BIG SUR : CATALINA : GIGABYTE TRX40 DESIGNARE.zip opencore-2020-12-01-063803.txt.zip

• Supervisor

ciao @Arrakis

happy you have improved your system and happy overall you did all on your own 🙂

very happy for this

About your latest problems to solve

1) airdrop

sorry no experience for this. I do not use and have any compatible peripheric for this

2) sleep/wake

your config seems good, have you set in your bios wake on lan properly as suggested from users with gigabyte Designare ex board?

On msi (my board) in Catalina no joy for sleep/wake..in Big Sur it is pretty perfect with the same hardware and config.

in the past with my x299 Designare ex board I had problem with sleep..so I can't say more about this

attached is a plist file you can try, it is useful only for Catalina and Bigsur OS's

simplify Kernel patches

you can try to change yours AMD full set of kernel patches 😉

backup first your config.plist

16 patches.plist.zip

16 hours ago, shutterbug168 said:

So, my Gigabyte Trx40 Designare MB died on me more than a week ago, and I still haven't heard back from Gigabyte.  Its support service is one of the worst if not the worse.  In the mean time, I had ordered an Asrock Trx40 Creator to get my hack back up (we have an Asrock Windows machine working very well in the office).  Do I need to modify my EFI (based on @Ploddles's shared EFI) much for the Asrock MB? Thanks!

My Asrock TRX Creator has been running great once I fixed the MMIO Whitelist and configured the USB ports correctly. Before I configured USB, I would get a code 99 failure on boot approximately 30% of the time. Now USB works on all ports ALL of the time. I never had this much success with my X99 machine. The main problem that I have this this card is I cannot run DisplayPort unless I have CSM enabled. This is a minor inconvenience. Sleep does not work for me, but I think the problem is my Vega 64 video card, which I also use as a "space heater". 

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, Rocket88 said:

My Asrock TRX Creator has been running great once I fixed the MMIO Whitelist and configured the USB ports correctly. Before I configured USB, I would get a code 99 failure on boot approximately 30% of the time. Now USB works on all ports ALL of the time. I never had this much success with my X99 machine. The main problem that I have this this card is I cannot run DisplayPort unless I have CSM enabled. This is a minor inconvenience. Sleep does not work for me, but I think the problem is my Vega 64 video card, which I also use as a "space heater". 

Which vega 64 model?

i have a gigabyte OC gaming and i have no problem with it 

it works well also without using whatevergreen kext

about sleep could you post your booter/quirk and a debug log?

thank you

2 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

Hi to everyone!

How do you get your USBs works on all ports ALL of the time?

@Rocket88 Do you mind sharing your EFI/USBMap? Before my AMD hack died, it was working better than my X299 hack -- my Apple Watch could unlock my hack consistently (not so with my X299 hack).  But it wouldn't sleep: it would go to sleep but immediately wake up, and then repeat the cycle.  Yes, I have to enable CSM to make the hack work -- no idea on why but it didn't have any impact otherwise. Thanks!

4 hours ago, fabiosun said:

ciao @Arrakis

happy you have improved your system and happy overall you did all on your own 🙂

very happy for this

About your latest problems to solve

1) airdrop

sorry no experience for this. I do not use and have any compatible peripheric for this

2) sleep/wake

your config seems good, have you set in your bios wake on lan properly as suggested from users with gigabyte Designare ex board?

On msi (my board) in Catalina no joy for sleep/wake..in Big Sur it is pretty perfect with the same hardware and config.

in the past with my x299 Designare ex board I had problem with sleep..so I can't say more about this

attached is a plist file you can try, it is useful only for Catalina and Bigsur OS's

simplify Kernel patches

you can try to change yours AMD full set of kernel patches 😉

backup first your config.plist

16 patches.plist.zip 2.12 kB · 2 downloads

@fabiosun

With the simplification of AMD patches

I get this error

IMG_9601.thumb.jpg.4d06ee65e3fa68f5eff3839ad2c7802f.jpg

2 hours ago, shutterbug168 said:

@Rocket88 Do you mind sharing your EFI/USBMap? Before my AMD hack died, it was working better than my X299 hack -- my Apple Watch could unlock my hack consistently (not so with my X299 hack).  But it wouldn't sleep: it would go to sleep but immediately wake up, and then repeat the cycle.  Yes, I have to enable CSM to make the hack work -- no idea on why but it didn't have any impact otherwise. Thanks!

Here is my EFI. I have turned off verbose because it works for me, but you will probably want to turn it on. Good luck !!!!

Rocket88 EFI.zip

• +1 2

11 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

Hi @Rocket88 thanks for sharing your EFI I also had the 99 error and "solved" it by switching off my XMP profile in ram. Since I run it at 2666MHz I had no issue with the 99 error. Also I can't get sleep to work on my Radeon VII.

@fabiosun attached my current EFI (all working except sleep, I removed the audio files to reduce file size) and I have swapped out the wifi board for a MacOS compatible one.

EFI.zip

Edited by Rox67er
Updated with EFI changes for USB as per info from rocket88

Thanks, @Rocket88!  My Hack is now born-again by a new Mother(board)🤣 But I did encountered two problems.  The wifi would not show up at all  the Network Panel while BT is up but not working fully🤨 And the hack will not shutdown -- the same problem on Designare was solved by turning "Wake on Lan" off in the BIOS.  But there is no such an option on this Asrock MB... Or did I miss something in the BIOS?

BTW, @Rox67er, I couldn't get sleep to work before on Designare with Radeon VII.  Will let this born-again hack sleep and see what happens🤞

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches