backinblackx86

just got my GE Pro ssd and installed Sonoma on it. The firmware probably doesn't support TRIM just yet, but otherwise this is the first PCIe gen 5 SSD to be this solid. No issues so far which I saw with the Phison controller based ones from Crucial and TeamGroup

• Thanks 1

• Supervisor
4 hours ago, Jaidy said:

just got my GE Pro ssd and installed Sonoma on it. The firmware probably doesn't support TRIM just yet, but otherwise this is the first PCIe gen 5 SSD to be this solid. No issues so far which I saw with the Phison controller based ones from Crucial and TeamGroup

I allow myself to joke with you Jaidy 🙂
what are you doing with your trx40 that doesn't have a slot/M2 pcie5.0? 🙂

6 hours ago, fabiosun said:

I allow myself to joke with you Jaidy 🙂
what are you doing with your trx40 that doesn't have a slot/M2 pcie5.0? 🙂

I’m waiting for a wrx90 motherboard to become available to get it. Otherwise, yes you have a valid point 🙂

• Like 1

Hello, I am writing from the Trx50 booted into Sonoma. Going to try and use this system for video editing. My system disk is the Western Digital branded SN850X, however, I do believe the secondary nvme, the Crucial T700 may be causing issues. The system reboots while Disk Utility attempts to format the T700 as HFS or APFS, only exFAT formatted successfully.

Edited by backinblackx86

16 hours ago, Lorys89 said:

Do you have the firmware updated on the t700? 

Try to format it from recovery and not from booted OS

I tried both and each failed to format the T700 disk as APFS or HFS. The crucial website does not provide any updates.

18 hours ago, Lorys89 said:

Format entire disk to exfat guid and then only format the exfat container to apfs

And try to set setapfstrimout from -1 to 0

You can find it at kernel /quirks 

That’s how I managed to format my own T700. Beware though, T700 caused a lotta panics and random restarts. It is some driver issues with macOS since it’s solid in Linux. I advise caution using it with macOS 

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@backinblackx86change that drive with one more compatible (PCIE gen 4) if you like to use it in OSX system

For now unsolved problem for T700 and generally also for other PCIE 5 Gen NVME

The GE Pro leads to random restarts too, only less often as the T700. I suggest staying away from PCIe 5 drives too, for now. 

• +1 2

I did find reference on the ASUS forums to a firmware update available for the Crucial T700 via the Windows software "Crucial Storage Executive" (https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive).

Although I have not tired the nvmefix.kext yet nor have I tuned the setapfstrimout parameter, I will more than likely use this 5.0 NVME for either Windows or Linux as MacOS TRX50 does operate well paired with the WD SN850X.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

• 3 weeks later...

Upgraded my setup with a Samsung Neo G9 57" display. I found HDMI did not support full resolution but Display Port did.

Graphics/Displays within System Profiler shows: 

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 16 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x73bf

Revision ID: 0x00c1

ROM Revision: 113-EXT800245-L02

Metal Support: Metal 3

Displays:

Odyssey G95NC:

Resolution: 7680 x 2160

UI Looks like: 3840 x 1080 @ 60.00Hz

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Display Serial Number: HNTWB01398

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supervisor
2 hours ago, backinblackx86 said:

Also, system does not yet show an update for Sonoma 14.4

if you use restrictevents kext try to use this bootarg :

revpatch=sbvmm

or search for @Lorys89restrictevents release (in his github repo or in our forum)

I have installed a second 4TB WD850x to clone my installation onto and have updated the BIOS to F3D. Unfortunately, my 10GbE AQ Nic is no longer seeing connection…

On 1/25/2024 at 5:30 AM, backinblackx86 said:

Aq has not yet appeared in the system profiler, now attempting the new revision of AQC113 aml

On 1/25/2024 at 5:28 AM, Lorys89 said:

if not work, change this 

SSDT-AQC113.aml.zip

Could F3D bios have affected this patch? @Lorys89

I do believe the 10GbE LAN2 disappearance was BIOS related. After downgrading to F2, pulling the NVMe, main PSU power and the BIOS battery backup, the system posted to show LAN2 again. There is an option of maintaining to DMI data between BIOS flashes, perhaps that is the issue. I have yet to boot into MacOS yet.