fabiosun

11 hours ago, Jaidy said:

Has anyone booted Sonoma (beta / RC) on TRX40 yet?

I haven't tried the RC yet but the last EFI I gave you booted Dev7 / Pub5 fine. Wifi didn't work but there is a beta of the beta driver available that I haven't tested. My machine is packed away for a few weeks and the full version will be available by the time I next get to use it but I'm not expecting any problems.

• +1 2

while trying to download Sonoma, it says "The update cannot be installed on this computer".

Previously when I would get an error like that (but not exactly this perhaps), I would disable BlueToolFixup kext, and the update would go through. Please help...

1 hour ago, Jaidy said:

while trying to download Sonoma, it says "The update cannot be installed on this computer".

Previously when I would get an error like that (but not exactly this perhaps), I would disable BlueToolFixup kext, and the update would go through. Please help...

It said that on my real MacBook the 1st time I tried, from the App Store. I tried again a few minutes later and it downloaded fine. 

2 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

It said that on my real MacBook the 1st time I tried, from the App Store. I tried again a few minutes later and it downloaded fine. 

Oh well, I downloaded the full installer, and doing a fresh install now 🤦

Hello,

I did a clean install of Sonoma as a test on another partition.

Easy passage. Wifi and Airport work.

I made the necessary modifications for this on my EFI Ventura.

1. Added patch: algrey | Force cpuid_cores_per_package to constant (user specified) | 10:13-10:14 a.m.

2. Change the number of processor cores on this new patch

3. Change the MaxKernel value to 24.99.99 over all others.

4. Update the AirportItlwm kext (Sonoma version)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fabiosun said:

are you using intel wifi?

if so

https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm/issues/883#issuecomment-1670749680

this kext is only for sonoma

I used this kext itself to enable wifi on my system. Airdrop uses bluetooth, and bluetooth works with things like my trackpad and keyboard, but airdrop doesn't. Also, I noticed messages and FaceTime aren't working either...

• Supervisor
6 hours ago, Rox67er said:

May have missed this, was there already a solution for the BRCM4360 WiFi on Sonoma? (I have the original card which used to work great without any fix on 13.6)

Yes, Sonoma left support for many wifi

a method to have them back is to use OCLP (Opencore Legacy Patcher)

it patches some Sonoma frameworks and it uses old kexts to have wifi working the same

There are some drawback

1)sip disabled

2)amfi disabled

3Securebootmodel disabled

4)block a new Sonoma kext

5)seal broken

I use OCLP happily 🙂 🙂

link to a mini guide :)

On 10/1/2023 at 11:08 AM, fabiosun said:

Yes, Sonoma left support for many wifi

a method to have them back is to use OCLP (Opencore Legacy Patcher)

it patches some Sonoma frameworks and it uses old kexts to have wifi working the same

There are some drawback

1)sip disabled

2)amfi disabled

3Securebootmodel disabled

4)block a new Sonoma kext

5)seal broken

I use OCLP happily 🙂 🙂

link to a mini guide :)

Thanks @fabiosun I did see the OCLP way but I like to keep everything clean to not block next updates. I'm no expert but what I don't get is that we can't just take the old Ventura kext and load them like we do the other kext via OC. Is this linked to some Apple Security (I see the SIP / Secure boot / seal comments)

• Supervisor
9 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

to keep everything clean to not block next updates

it is possible to update in a simple way

9 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

Is this linked to some Apple Security (I see the SIP / Secure boot / seal comments)

correct!

these ones is the only drawbacks

12 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

we can't just take the old Ventura kext and load them like we do the other kext via OC

also this is correct (OCLP patches some internal OSX framework to allow using old Ventura wifi related kexts

if you have an iphone , ipad or a real mac is a great opportunity to use OCLP (also with all security limitation ((in my opinion)) )

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 12:46 PM, meina222 said:

@Driftwood,

I noticed this limitation a while ago - on the Gigabyte BIOS-es this causes D4 PCI resource allocation error and refuses to boot. I never researched the exact topology/PCI lanes, but the TRX40 chipset is definitely not as good as the Intel Xeon ones for many PCI devices. On this topic, as of now, WRX80 is available, which should have 7 x16 PCI slots, but unfortunately requires you to also swap your Threadripper for a Threadripper Pro.

Was this problem ever solved? I just populated all of the m.2 ports on my machine, and occasionally it won’t boot, or boot to black screen, or restart midway. Though once it gets to desktop, things are solid. 

also I added a second GPU (7900XTX)..

Edited by Jaidy

10 hours ago, Jaidy said:

Was this problem ever solved? I just populated all of the m.2 ports on my machine, and occasionally it won’t boot, or boot to black screen, or restart midway. Though once it gets to desktop, things are solid. 

also I added a second GPU (7900XTX)..

You should check resources - PCIE which ones are directly connected to CPU and which are to chipset. All devices inc USB devices are taking up resources. DO a count and subtract from the total available for your motherboard. Maybe take out a device - a drive, a GPU etc... (experiment) until you see a happy compromise.

For example, The ASROCK TRX40 Creator features 88 PCIE lanes, 72 of which are useable to the end user. The Threadripper AMD CPUs utilise 56/64 PCIe 4.0 lanes.

Chipset vs. processor allocated PCIe lanes

The PCIe lanes on a motherboard originate either from the processor itself or the motherboard chipset.

Generally, the processor lanes are reserved exclusively for the graphics card x16 slots and M.2 slots for high-speed SSDs, as they require to move data without being bottlenecked by the chipset.

On the other hand, chipset lanes connect to onboard USB, other M.2 and PCIe slots, and SATA. The chipset itself transfers data to the processor via a dedicated 4-lane PCIe bus.

So, all devices connected via PCIe lanes to the chipset will have a cap on their maximum bandwidth leading to bottlenecks

Don't forget to run MMIO Opencore checks as u go.

Edited by Driftwood
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone use a PCIe 5 SSD here? I am trying to get macOS installed on a T700 but it is not stable. Even formatting a new drive to APFS using disk utility leads to system restarting. I boot from the USB and format using terminal, not even disk utility from it either. I’ve updated NVMEFix (and all other kexts too), but to no avail..

@Jaidy PCIe 5.... Looking at the random write/read speeds its probably not worth it atm. Cache problems aside the tech looks great in theory. But we wait and see. As to the T700 not being stable under MacOS seems strange. Did you try Disk Utility in macOS Recovery to format the volume?

Edited by Driftwood

3 hours ago, Driftwood said:

@Jaidy PCIe 5.... Looking at the random write/read speeds its probably not worth it atm. Cache problems aside the tech looks great in theory. But we wait and see. As to the T700 not being stable under MacOS seems strange. Did you try Disk Utility in macOS Recovery to format the volume?

Yes I did. It won’t format. I had gotten the same drive a while ago under Monterey and it was the same problem then too. Though the drive works perfectly in Linux (also did previously), so it’s a macOS or hackintosh thing it seems. Other people have reported the same..

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

So @fabiosun are you thinking the forthcoming 7975WX TRX50 will be viable? 

I think so

but I think price will be monster

and I would like to have a platform with the change to upgrade also the cpu without changing the motherboard

trx40 missed that part 

we will see

the future seems more interesting than recent past🥹

• Like 1
  • +1 1