Sonoma Os - Wi-Fi is back :)

fabiosun

• Supervisor

With the definitive release of the new Apple operating system, many users have experienced first hand the complete loss of Wi-Fi and some Apple services such as (Airdrop, Imessage, Facetime, photobooth) especially for Apple users with iPhone mobile phones the problem is annoying as you lose some conveniences that having an Apple ecosystem allowed in previous OS up to macOS Ventura.

A tool, OCLP, or OpenCore Legacy Patcher in full, comes to our aid.

It is a tool designed for "original" Macs, but which also comes in handy for those who use Hackintosh systems.

There are important compromises to accept (it is not the job of this post to explain them), but once accepted it is possible to use the wifi cards that were previously recognized also on the latest Apple OS

To date you must use the "nightly" version of OCLP as the release is not yet available with Sonoma support, below is the link:

OCLP (latest)

Below are the steps to prepare our system for the installation of OCLP:

1) install macOS Sonoma by updating kexts and bootloader to the latest versions

2) edit the config.plist and set SecureBootModel to Disabled* (in misc/Security section of your config.plist)

3) block com.apple.iokit.IOSkywalkFamily

4) add the kexts and a dependency in the OC's appropriate folder and declare them in the config.plist as shown in the pictures below:

• IOSkywalkFamily.kext
  • IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext
  • IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext

5) use a soft unlock for SIP**:

6) use a boot-arg for AMFI***:

• amfi=0x80
  • or use AMFIPass.kext and -amfipassbeta boo-targ***

7) if you also use different operating systems remember to set the min kernel for the block and kext in the appropriate section of the config.plist

* After OCLP is installed is possible to set SecureBootModel as you like

** After OCLP is installed is possible to set SIP to 0008000 (sip Enabled 0x800)

*** it is only possible to use a kext and a bootarg for this step and this step could solve crash in some apps like Dropbox , Firefox and Whatsapp (AMFIPass.kext and -amfipassbeta boot-arg or only use the kext if it is 1.4 or newer release (https://macos86.it/topic/6463-oclp-il-wi-fi-è-tornato-in-macos-sonoma/?do=findComment&comment=143907  )

Example for the modification to be made for point 3):

image.thumb.png.1475838fabcdce7fcb5158f184d5c1f4.png

Example for the modification to be made for point 4):

image.thumb.png.ae5f1f20a73ad2514e3fa1d06ffcb4f9.png

After copying the two kexts IOSkywalkFamily.kext and IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext, declare them in the config with the order shown in the photograph (the third is inside the main kext)

Example for the modification to be carried out for points 5) and 6):

image.thumb.png.30d3e6e8f66bfcf0717de31443782208.png

boot-arg amfi0x80 e csr-active-config 03080000

Once these changes have been made, you need to restart OSX

At the OpenCore menu it is strongly recommended to reset NVRAm and check that SIP is disabled at this point.

After logging in it is now possible to launch OCLP (taken from the link posted just above in this thread).

OCLP adds a service that requires acceptance.

You will have the options available in the image below:

image.thumb.png.cd66e38ccfd717f1d919be26b4fd927c.png

Click on Post-Install Root Patch and then click on start root patching:

image.thumb.png.cbbcf5c9e8696cb906bb63f9cf9d261f.png

OCLP will ask to be relaunched as root, enter your password and let the software make its changes

in a few seconds OCLP will ask to restart and if everything went well the next restart you will be able to enjoy your fully functional wifi! 🙂 

image.thumb.png.bbfe27a1fc9e35376aa4ab07676bb3e8.png

image.thumb.png.541566e2d4e150cb32bab97853dcbc3e.png

image.thumb.png.af8f49e40e0b51fd26a39d8e61774ba0.png

For more informations about OCLP:

kexts.zip

AMFIPass1.4.kext.zip

IOSkywalkFamily_new.kext.zip

Edited by fabiosun
Added IOSkywalkFAmily kext for 14.4.b2 compatibility
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, idle said:

Everything is fine... but only for those who do not use Skype or Whatsapp... because they stop working after these manipulations...

Have you tried with amipass.kext with -amipassbeta boot arg instead of using amfi=0x80?

works great w/ -amipassbeta

didn't know that it depends on kext order, so AMFIPass.kext has to be loaded just after IO kexts within config.plist, NVRAM cleared

• IOSkywalkFamily.kext
  • IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext
  • IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext
  • AMFIPass.kext
Edited by syter
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this, I was able to fix my wifi and get airdrop back. Not sure if it's related, but it looks like after following these steps somehow the Plex app is broken. I get "QtWebEngineProcess quit unexpectedly." Is it possible one of the patches in OCLP broke the QT Web Engine?

• Supervisor

@notsurenot sure 🙂 about method you used to patch

Bootarg or Amfipass kext?

If you could explain in detailed all steps to do i would be happy to try also in my system (if plex app is available)

@fabiosun I basically followed what you have laid out. I updated OC to 0.9.8 and updated all kexts, added the new kexts in the same order, set csr to 0308, added amfi=0x80 to bootargs, rebooted and cleared nvram from OC, then launched oclp. The only available patches were for wifi, I allowed it to finish and rebooted. It's not really a huge deal. I'd much rather have working wifi airdrop and handoff, also Plex still works in the browser. I'm just curious to know if one of the patches broke it somehow. 

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.20.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.21.37 AM.png

sorry if I intrude @notsure check the EFI carefully I see you have two network cards, the bluetooth kexts are on false, put the aerdwaure in the signature at least the moderators will know what to intervene on maybe you didn't understand @fabiosun steps well

Edited by Perdu

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, notsure said:

added amfi=0x80

this bootarg could break some app from working well as dropbox or whatsapp, maybe also Plex? 😉

use only the kext AMFIPass.kext (1.4 release), clean NVRAM and try 🙂

31 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

this bootarg could break some app from working well as dropbox or whatsapp, maybe also Plex? 😉

use only the kext AMFIPass.kext (1.4 release), clean NVRAM and try 🙂

@fabiosun This fixed it! Thank you!

50 minutes ago, Perdu said:

sorry if I intrude @notsure check the EFI carefully I see you have two network cards, the bluetooth kexts are on false, put the aerdwaure in the signature at least the moderators will know what to intervene on maybe you didn't understand @fabiosun steps well

@Perdu I've had those kexts disabled for a while. I don't remember which update, but one broke bluetooth and this was the fix. I could probably remove them, but it seems to be working this way. I've added my hardware in my signature. Thanks!

• +1 1